How is the SEIS Being Prepared?
The Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for the West Valley Site is being prepared following Council on Environmental Quality and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) regulations for implementing the National Environmental Policy Act (Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1500-1508 and 10 CFR Part 1021, respectively) and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) regulations for implementing the State Environmental Quality Review Act (Title 6 New York Codes, Rules, and Regulations Part 617).
The SEIS will follow these steps:
- A Notice of Intent to prepare the SEIS and Draft Scope is published in the Federal Register and NYSDEC’s Environmental Notice Bulletin.
- Therefore, the Notice of Intent and Draft Scope begins the public scoping period, during which written and oral comments on the content of the SEIS are requested.
- A Draft SEIS is prepared.
- A Notice of Availability is published in the Federal Register, and a Notice of Completion is published in NYSDEC’s Environmental Notice Bulletin, announcing the availability of the Draft SEIS, the public comment period, and how the public may comment, including the location and schedule of public meetings on the Draft SEIS.
- A Final SEIS is prepared that includes the public comments on the Draft SEIS and the agencies’ responses to those comments.
- An Notice of Availability is published in the Federal Register, and a Notice of Completion is published in NYSDEC’s Environmental Notice Bulletin, notifying the public that the Final SEIS is available.
- DOE’s Record of Decision and NYSERDA’s Findings Statement are published in the Federal Register and NYSDEC’s Environmental Notice Bulletin, respectively, that describe the agencies’ decision(s) about the proposed action.
The Draft and Final SEIS documents, the Notice of Intent and Draft Scope, the Notice of Availability, and the Record of Decision and Findings Statement will be available for downloading and browsing on this website when they are published.